Signature Physics Support Various Efforts
- Electromagnetic remote sensing and subsurface detection of Unexploded Ordnance (UO).
- Soil characterization in regions of the world of interest to the Army.
- Effects of electrical properties of vegetation and near-surface and sub-ionospheric atmospheric disturbances.
- Characterization of electromagnetic air/surface wave propagation.
- Electromagnetic remote sensing and sub-surface detection of UO.
- Environmental effects on seismic/acoustic wave propagation and sensors.
Seek Out Solutions to the Army's Most Challenging Problems
- Three-D expressions for seismic waves subject to strongly heterogenous near-surface geological conditions for several scalings.
- Three-D expressions for acoustic waves affected by boundary layer meteorology, heterogeneous ground impedance and topographic and terrain feature controls.
- Personnel signatures (seismic, infrared, visual, and acoustic) due to weather, terrain, and cultural activity.
Exciting New Developments
- Seismic signal modeling for battlefield sensors.
- Electromagnetic modeling and numerical methods.
- Signature phenomena and other exploitation techniques for remote sensing of kinetic hazards.
- Infrasound propagation in complex environments.
Signature Physics Core Competencies
- Seismic/acoustic sensing in complex environments.
- Sensor performance modeling, decision making, and uncertainty analyses.
- Sensor-based security.
- Unexploded ordnance discrimination and assessment.
- All-season near-surface phenomenology.
Signature Physics Research Tools
- Ground Penetrating Radar
- Electromagnetic Induction Techniques
- Seismic and Acoustic Real-Time Data Collection
- Intrusion Detection Systems
- High-Performance COmputing Capability
- Stochastical Modeling of Nonlinear Effects